Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Single Reality

Science is real. So is God. This frightens people, but we cannot escape reality just because it scares us. How can I understand this wonderful, terrible, confusing, and delightful world? I don't know. But maybe writing out some of my thoughts here will help me come to a deeper understanding.

I will go by Lina on this blog. That is not my real name. "Lina" is a tribute to Madeleine L'Engle. This wonderful woman who not only accepted that science and faith are compatible, she found it glorious. She was surrounded by religion that could not satisfy her longings. It was science that brought her to a greater faith. Some people shun her because she tries to make science religions. Other people shun her because she believed that science and faith were compatible. I think she is an inspiration. She knew she was wrong in many ways, but she grew more in her ignorance than many grow in their certainty.

In honor of Madeleine L'Engle and the richness she has brought to my life, I will go by Lina. I hope that I can follow in Madeleine L'Engle's footsteps and grow in understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment